If you need help paying your home energy bill we can help!
H-HEAP Application Instructions
The Hawai’i Home Energy Assistance Program (H-HEAP) provides heating and cooling to needy Hawaii households by assisting with one-time payments toward their utility bill (electric or gas) in two ways:
- Energy Crisis Intervention (ECI) – a crisis program to assist households that are on the verge or have had their utility service terminated.
- Energy Credit (EC) – non-crisis program to assist households with heating and/or cooling of their residences with bill payment. This program has a limited application period, June only. Application periods are announced via the Hawaiian Electric Newsletter, Ho`oku`i, and on your Hawaii Gas bill each year.
- Household members must be U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents.
- All adults must sign the application and provide a picture ID.
- All household members older than one year old must provide a Social Security number.
- You must be a resident of the state of Hawaii and have a place of residence.
- You must be responsible for an electric bill and/or gas bill.
- Your income must be below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- Households with a TANF, SSI or SNAP recipient may be eligible for an income exemption.
Household Annual Income Limits
|Eligible HH Size||EC||ECI|
|150% FPL||60% SMI|
Be sure to provide the following documents with the signed application:
- Current bill and/or disconnect notice for Electric or Gas. (If the utility subscriber is not the applicant and the subscriber does not live in the home, then they must sign a required form and provide a picture ID.)
- Proof of residence – provide a document other than the utility bill that shows your current address. Examples include a phone bill or doctor’s bill.
- Picture IDs and Social Security cards.
- Proof of age and/or disability – birth certification for one child 0-5 years OR verification of receipt of Social Security Disability benefits, ONLY IF NO ONE IN THE HOME IS OVER 60 YEARS OLD.
- Proof of income – for all household members, bring all that apply: Pay stubs for all jobs since January; Self Employment income and expenses, award letters from Social Security, welfare, unemployment SSI, pension/retirement statement, etc.
- Proof of Citizenship Status – U.S. passports, Permanent Resident Alien Card and/or birth certificates.