About the Program
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) helps to reduce energy costs for low-income families, particularly for the elderly (60 and over), people with disabilities, and children, by improving the energy efficiency of their homes while ensuring their health and safety. WAP was created in 1976 to assist families who lack the resources to invest in energy efficiency. The U.S. Department of Energy funds are used to improve the energy efficiency of homes using the most advanced technologies and testing protocols available in the housing industry. The program is administered through the State of Hawaii, Office of Community Services.
The energy savings resulting from these efforts helps our country reduce its dependence on foreign oil and decrease the cost of energy for families in need while improving the health and safety of their homes.
What are the pros?
- In-home energy assessment, at no cost, by staff to evaluate and recommend specific energy-saving measures
- Participants will be provided education in cost-saving-energy-efficient practices.
Frequently asked questions
Q: How much does the program cost?
A: WAP services are FREE to clients who are at or below the eligibility guidelines. Low-income renters are also eligible. However, owners of rental properties are asked to contribute to the upgrades of their rental units.
Q: How is WAP funded?
A: WAP is financed by the U.S. Department of Energy and administered directly through the State of Hawaii, Office of Community Services.
Who is eligible?
You may be eligible for the Weatherization and Assistance Program:
- If you or a household member receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), you are automatically eligible.
- You may also be eligible if your total household income is at or below the Federal Poverty Level for Hawaii – 200% (See Eligibility Guidelines Chart).
- IMPORTANT – Preference is given to the elderly (over 60 years old), persons with disabilities and families with children (under 5 years old).
- LED or CFL
- Energy Star 18 cubic inch refrigerator
- Smart Power Strip
- Low-flow faucets and shower heads
|For each additional person after 8, add $9,620.|