- The Mission of MEO is to strengthen the community while helping people in need restore their hope, reach their potential and enrich their lives.
- Improve the community by promoting economic independence and sustainability.
- Personal Excellence
MEO is a nonprofit Community Action Agency committed to helping low income individuals and families become stable and achieve economic security. MEO’s services are constantly changing to meet the needs of children and families, persons with disabilities and medical needs, the elderly, and low-income individuals. MEO works with more than twenty-five community partners to help people and change lives. All MEO programs are tangible translations of the Promise of Community Action.
MEO has been “helping people…changing lives” for over 55 years and is an articulate advocate for those whose voices are often not heard. From transportation and early childhood education, to assistance with small business development, MEO works in concert with the public and private sector.
MEO provides tools to help people and change lives with programs offered through five departments:
- The BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT CENTER assists small business entrepreneurs with developing a business plan, start-up and expansion education, credit assessment, and microloans.
- COMMUNITY SERVICES provides a wide array of services including, employment training and job placement; acculturation and advocacy the Hispanic/Latino community; rental, weatherization and energy assistance; senior club coordination to include, education and advocacy, providing seniors with access to fresh fruits and vegetables; reintegration for returning citizens, and more.
- EARLY CHILDHOOD SERVICES provides quality early childhood education to children 12 months to five years of age, including Head Start comprehensive services to eligible children and families.
- The TRANSPORTATION Department provides rides to the doctor, to work, to school, to adult day care, for necessary shopping, and for other needs with both standard and wheelchair lift-equipped vehicles.
- The YOUTH SERVICES Department provides youth with assistance to succeed in school and life through fun-filled opportunities to learn life skills, prepare for the workforce, and serve the community. The prevention of underage drinking, substance abuse, tobacco use, teenage pregnancy, and teenage suicide curriculum and activities are consistently blended with youth program activities.
MEO is dedicated to providing tools for living, for earning, for self-reliance, and for community involvement. All programs are designed with the underlying belief that instead of giving people a fish, it is better to teach them how to fish for themselves.