Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Home » Programs & Services » Community Services » Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

If you need help paying your home energy bill we can help!

LIHEAP Application Instructions


The Hawaii Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides heating and cooling to needy Hawaii households by assisting with one-time payments toward their utility bill (electric or gas) in two ways:

  • Energy Crisis Intervention (ECI) – a crisis program to assist households that are on the verge or have had their utility service terminated.
  • Energy Credit (EC) – non-crisis program to assist households with heating and/or cooling of their residences with bill payment. This program has a limited application period, June 2021 only.  Application periods are announced via the Hawaiian Electric Newsletter, Ho`oku`i, and on your Hawaii Gas bill each year.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Household members must be U.S. citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents.
  • All adults must sign the application and provide a picture ID.
  • All household members older than one year old must provide a Social Security number.
  • You must be a resident of the state of Hawaii and have a place of residence.
  • You must be responsible for an electric bill and/or gas bill.
  • Your income must be below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level.
  • Households with a TANF, SSI or SNAP recipient may be eligible for an income exemption.


Household Annual Income Limits


Eligible HH Size EC and ECI
150% FPL
Disaster ECI
60% SMI
1 $22,020 $32,523
2 $29,745 $42,531
3 $37,470 $52,538
4 $45,195 $62,545
5 $52,920 $72,552
6 $60,645 $82,559
7 $68,370 $84,436
8 $76,095 $86,312
9 $83,820 $88,188
10 $91,545 $90,065
11 $99,270 $91,941
12 $106,995 $93,818
13 $114,720 $95,694
14 $122,445 $97,570
15 $130,170 $99,447
16 $137,895 $101,323
17 $145,620 $103,199
18 $153,345 $105,076
19 $161,070 $106,952
20 $168,795 $108,828

Be sure to provide the following documents with the signed application:

  • Current bill and/or disconnect notice for Electric or Gas.  (If the utility subscriber is not the applicant and the subscriber does not live in the home, then they must sign a required form and provide a picture ID.)
  • Proof of residence – provide a document other than the utility bill that shows your current address. Examples include a phone bill or doctor’s bill.
  • Picture IDs and Social Security cards.
  • Proof of age and/or disability – birth certification for one child 0-5 years OR verification of receipt of Social Security Disability benefits, ONLY IF NO ONE IN THE HOME IS OVER 60 YEARS OLD.
  • Proof of income – for all household members, bring all that apply: Pay stubs for all jobs since January; Self Employment income and expenses, award letters from Social Security, welfare, unemployment SSI, pension/retirement statement, etc.
  • Proof of Citizenship Status – U.S. passports, Permanent Resident Alien Card and/or birth certificates.