Hawaii Emergency Laulima Partnership
Sponsored by the County of Maui and in Partnership with MEO
What is H.E.L.P?
Financial assistance for Maui County residents to pay for essential needs due to a layoff, reduction in hours or loss of income related to COVID-19.
Crisis Assistance Information:
Assistance for food, personal hygiene, household basics- cleaning products, paper goods, etc., over the counter medicine, rent, mortgage, utility payments, phone or internet service, car payments, and other essential needs.
An individual shall qualify if he/she has been laid-off or experienced a reduction in income due to COVID-19, and does not have more than $5,000 in liquid assets (Combined balances of checking and savings).
- Only one individual per household may receive assistance.
- A household shall be designated based on most current tax filing.
- Qualified individuals may not hold more than $5,000 in liquid assets (checking and savings balances combined)
- A household shall not apply for assistance more than once in a thirty-day period and shall not receive assistance more than a total of three times (HELP and HELP 2 combined), or until all funds have been obligated, whichever occurs first.
The following matrix shall be used to determine the maximum allowable for emergency assistance in a thirty-day period:
|Family Size||Maximum Assistance in a 30 day period|
- No direct payment shall be issued to individuals qualifying for assistance.
- Purchase orders (PO) or checks shall be provided and made payable to the merchant and no change shall be given at the time of purchase.
- No alcohol, e-cigarettes or tobacco, gift cards or toys shall be purchased with a PO or check.
- Rent, mortgage, utility payments, etc. shall be paid directly to the landlord, mortgage lender or utility.
- Purchase orders for food, payment to landlord, mortgage lender or vendor shall be issued within five business days of application approval.
- H.E.L.P funds may be received by a household up to 3 times. Additional funding for qualified applicants becomes available within a thirty day period from the previous approval (30 days from approval date).
- Completed applications
- Picture ID
- Proof of layoff or a reduction in income (Letter from employer or proof of applying for unemployment)
- A self-employed businessperson shall produce his/her GET records for the 4th quarter of 2019 and proof of a loss of income
- Copy of individual's most recent tax return to determine family size.
- Copy of individual's most recent bank and savings statement to determine assets.
- Requests for rent payment must include a copy of the rental lease and a W-9 completed by the landlord.
- Requests for mortgage and/or utility or other bill payment must include a legible copy of the bill to include the individual bill holder's name and account number, and the mailing address to submit the payment.
- A legible, complete copy of any bill payment request to include the name on the account, the account number and the mailing address of the vendor or business.
How do I apply for assistance?
Applications can be found on this page under the heading "Application Forms".
Prior to applying for assistance online, please ensure you have digital copies (PDF scans or Digital Photos) of all required documents.
Individuals without internet access may call 808-249-2990 or 808-249-2980 Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm, excluding holidays. An application shall be mailed to individuals, along with a self-addressed envelope to return the completed application and documents to MEO at 99 Mahalani Street, Wailuku, HI 96793. In-person appointments are discouraged. However, to eliminate barriers, in-person appointments shall be made in advance and shall be scheduled throughout all hours of operation to maintain safety and social distancing.
Select a form from the list below. The Online forms are prefered, however, Individuals without internet access may call 808-249-2990 or 808-249-2980 Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm, excluding holidays. An application shall be mailed to individuals, along with a self-addressed envelope to return the completed application and documents to MEO at 99 Mahalani Street, Wailuku, HI 96793.
In-person appointments are discouraged. However, to eliminate barriers, in-person appointments shall be made in advance and shall be scheduled throughout all hours of operation to maintain safety and social distancing.
Click here to download the IRS W-9 Form (fillable)
Clic aqui para bajar la Practica de Parivacidad de MEO.
Please note: All supporting documents can be uploaded with the online form. Fillable forms can be filled and saved and uploaded. Photos can be taken of other documents and uploaded with the online form. If sending photos of documents, please ensure they are readable before uploading.