Sponsored by the County of Maui and in Partnership with MEO
Applications can be found on this page under the heading "Application Forms". Please carefully review the following information before filling out an application.
The Hawaii Emergency Laulima Partnership (H.E.L.P) program is available to assist with urgent financial needs. This project is funded by the County of Maui and administered by Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc.
If you need H.E.L.P paying bills or buying food you can apply for financial assistance. To qualify, you must have been laid off or experienced a loss of income of 25% or more on or after March 4, 2020 and you must have less than $5,000 in liquid assets.
H.E.L.P funds may be received by a household up to 3 times. Additional funding for qualified applicants becomes available within a thirty day period from the previous approval (30 days from approval date).
Video: Qualifying & Supporting Documents - Please watch this video to help you determine if you qualify for the H.E.L.P program and which documents you will need to submit.
Video: Applying for H.E.L.P Online - If you have determined that you qualify for the H.E.L.P program, please watch this important video to help you with the Online Application.
The maximum funding level is based on family size and only one individual per household may receive assistance.
A household shall be designated based on exemptions claimed on your 2019 (or most current) tax filing.
The following matrix shall be used to determine the maximum allowable for emergency assistance in a thirty-day period:
|Family Size||Maximum Assistance in a 30 day period|
All first time applications must include the following:
- Completed application
- Copy of photo ID
- Proof of layoff or reduction in hours (copy of UI filing or letter from employer)
- Proof of income on March 4, 2020
- First page of most recent tax filing
- Copy of most recent bank and savings statement
Assistance can be used to pay for food, to pay for electric, water, cell, internet, insurance and more, however the total amount requested cannot exceed the total amount based on family size (see grid above).
Applications requesting assistance for help with Utilities, Mortgage, Rental, Insurance, or Childcare must provide supporting documentation from the list below.
- Current Utility, Internet, Phone Bill, etc.
- Utility Release Form (required only if the utility bill is under the landlord's name - can be downloaded here.)
- Current Insurance Bill
- Current Proof of tuition or childcare payment
- Rental Agreement
- W-9 From Landlord (can be downloaded here)
Current Mortgage Statement (If applying for help with a home Mortgage)
As mentioned above, the total amount requested cannot exceed the total amount based on family size (see grid above).
If the Family Size is 3-4, the total amount available across all categories is $585.00
Prior to applying for assistance:
- An individual shall apply for unemployment benefits and provide proof of application.
- A self-employed businessperson shall produce their GET records for the 4th quarter of 2019 and current records to show loss of income.
- Individuals must produce documentation of family size and show a reduction of income of 25% or more on or after March 4, 2020, and have less than $5,000 in liquid assets to qualify for assistance.
- Only one individual per household may receive assistance.
- A household shall be designated based on 2019 tax filing.
- A household shall not apply for assistance more than once in a thirty-day period.
- No direct payment shall be issued to individuals qualifying for assistance.
- Purchase orders (PO) or checks shall be provided and made payable to the merchant and no change shall be given at the time of purchase.
- No alcohol, e-cigarettes or tobacco shall be purchased with a PO or check.
- Rent, mortgage, utility payments, etc. shall be paid directly to the landlord, mortgage lender or utility.
- Purchase orders for food, payment to landlord, mortgage lender or vendor shall be issued within five business days of application approval.
Select a form from the list below. The Online forms are prefered, however, Individuals without internet access may call 808-249-2990 or 808-249-2980 Monday through Friday from 8am to 4pm, excluding holidays. An application shall be mailed to individuals, along with a self-addressed envelope to return the completed application and documents to MEO at 99 Mahalani Street, Wailuku, HI 96793.
In-person appointments are discouraged. However, to eliminate barriers, in-person appointments shall be made in advance and shall be scheduled throughout all hours of operation to maintain safety and social distancing.
Click here to download the IRS W-9 Form (fillable)
Clic aqui para bajar la Practica de Parivacidad de MEO.
Please note: All supporting documents can be uploaded with the online form. Fillable forms can be filled and saved and uploaded. Photos can be taken of other documents and uploaded with the online form. If sending photos of documents, please ensure they are readable before uploading.